Monday, January 09, 2006

Finances and Fish

My husband and I spent three hours this morning talking to a financial advisor. Even though I really tried to understand the conversation between my husband and the gentleman on the other side of the desk, I couldn't help but feel like I was listening to the teacher from Charlie Brown.

I drifted off in my thinking a bit and jumped on the band wagon of: New Year, New Diet. At least for dinner tonight. I ran off to Whole Foods and bought some soba noodles, fresh ahi tuna, an avocado, scallions, and some green beans. Soba noodles are made from buckwheat and wheat flour so they're healthier than semolina flour pasta. That advantage, coupled with our desire to take a break from brown rice made them a perfect choice for dinner tonight.

After cooking them, I toss them will some balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, and sweet chili sauce. After a taste test, it definitely had some good flavors, but seemed a bit flat. I chopped up the scallions and added the juice of a lime. The noodles woke up and they were the ideal accompaniment to the seared tuna. The amounts of the sauces are up to you...it's a good idea to find a balance between the salty, sweet, and sour.

Would also be nice to add some black sesame seeds to the soba noodles for a bit of color contrast and a hint of bitterness but I opted not to this evening. I think the noodles are best served room temperature with a dish like this.

Make sure to purchase fresh ahi (or yellowfin) tuna. It's so simple and quick to prepare. Just heat a skillet or grill until its super hot. Season the tuna with salt and pepper and sear away. In a non-stick pan, there is no need for any fat. Just lay the tuna down and leave it alone! You'll be able to see it cook up the sides. I like it still pink and raw in the middle, so about 4 minutes per side is perfect.

Make sure to cut against the grain or else the fish will just fall apart. If you don't mind having it room temperature, once you take it off the heat, throw it in the freezer for a bit. It will made it a lot eaiser to cut later. And use a sharp knife!


Seared Ahi Tuna with Asian Soba Noodles
Serves 2

1 lb. Ahi tuna loin or steak
1/2 lb. soba noodles
1 1/2 Balsamic vinegar
2 TB Sweet chili sauce
1 1/2 TB Soy sauce
Juice of 1 lime
1 bunch Scallions
Black Sesame seeds (optional)
Salt and Pepper
Avocado (Garnish)

No comments: