Monday, December 01, 2008

Homemade Soups. Take One

Each winter, I offer homemade soups to friends and family. While it does bring in a little money to the business, it's more about offering comforting food to those I care about. Once the winter hits Boston, its easier to reach into the freezer and grab a soup rather than think about what to cook or where to order from. This year, I'm offering:
  • Roasted Tomato and Basil
  • Shrimp and Corn Chowder
  • Chicken and Vegetable
  • Cream of Mushroom
  • Butternut Squash

I have orders for 110 quarts total. A few tips when making soups, chowders, stews, etc. :

  • Always use kosher salt.
  • If possible, look for whole peppercorns and grind them yourself. It is more potent with a fresher flavor. For light colored soups, use white pepper. It is stronger than black, so use sparingly.
  • Make your own stock. It brings the soup to another level. Just throw the ingredients in a pot with cold water and leave it for a few hours.
  • Make a lot at once and freeze in smaller portions
  • Use fresh herbs and add them at the end

I'll start with the most popular: the chowder. I describe how to make it here.

No comments: